LEARNING GODS WORD THROUGH THE PSALMS
Fr Paul Stewart
- You have dealt well with your servant, O Lord, according to your Word.
- Teach me good judgment and knowledge, for I believe your commandments.
- Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I keep your word;
- You are good, and do good; Teach me Your statutes.
- The proud have forged a lie against me, but I will keep your precepts with my whole heart.
- Their heart is as fat as grease, but I delight in your law.
- It is good for me that I have been afflicted, that I may learn your statutes.
- Then thousands of shekels of gold and silver.
David learned in the progression of his life suitable instructions from the Torah. As a young boy he learned to shepherd the flocks, and then when called on he learned to become a warrior, but then when he was anointed he learned to rule as a King. However, nothing advanced him greater than in the stillness of the night- this is when he poured his heart out in song; his joys and sorrows, his praise and disappoints, to his Lord.
Over and over he cried out, “You are good, and do good. Teach me your statutes”. Every time he strayed the Lord would not let him stay away long. The afflictions came, but the word pulled him back to God. Our hearts get overwhelmed too, with the boring mundane things. But under the careful eye of the Holy Spirit, we can only drift so far before He acts. Gently, persuasively, tugging us back to Jesus. The demonstration of Holy Spirit is greater than thousands of dollars of silver and gold.
As a young boy, David learned to be a shepherd. As an unsteady youth, he learned to become a warrior. As God’s anointed, he learned to rule as King. But in the stillness of the night, King David learned to worship His God, and to pour out his heart in song; his joys and sorrows, his praise and his disappointments, his own lack of judgment and the understanding he found in God and the Torah.
“You are good, and do good”, King David proclaims. God is good! His very character is good, and what He gives to His children is good. We live in a culture that is increasingly cynical and negative. People all around you are looking for encouragement, a steadfast spirit, and an unwavering hope. They are searching for answers and wondering if anyone or anything is truly good?
MORETOWN BIBLE STUDY WITH THE CHURCH OF THE CRUCIFIED ONE
The Church of the Crucified One, is a Non-denominational, Faith Community, of born again, Spirit Filled Christians, located in beautiful Moretown, Vermont bringing the Gospel of Jesus Christ to Moretown, Waterbury, Waitsfield, Warren, Montpelier, Burlington & The Madriver Valley.