GOD’S WORD THROUGH THE BOOK OF PSALMS
Fr Paul Stewart
- My soul faints for Your salvation, But I hope in Your word.
- My eyes fail from seeking Your word, Saying, “When will You comfort me?”
- For I have become like a wineskin in smoke, Yet I do not forget Your statutes.
- How many are the days of Your servant? When will You execute judgment on those who persecute me?
- The proud have dug pits for me, Which is not according to Your law.
- All Your commandments are faithful; They persecute me wrongfully; Help me!
- They almost made an end of me on earth, But I did not forsake Your precepts.
- Revive me according to Your lovingkindness, So that I may keep the testimony of Your mouth.
“My soul faint…my eyes fail…”David is worn out or wearied awaiting God’s answers to his prayers. Yet the verses tell of his unfailing hope in God’s word. His life was always on either on top of a mountain or plunged into a valley of despair. Often he had to flee to the dark caves in the wilderness fearing the deadly plans of his own son. Psalm 130, “Out of the depths I have cried You, O Lord.”
Haven’t you been surrounded by family and friends who berated you? It is one of those places we experience with sadness and great drama. The experience often strips us of hope and nowhere can we find praise.
In this place, David drew on the experiences of God’s faithfulness. He managed to lift himself up by encouraging his tired spirit to hope in the Lord. He knew firsthand the Salvation of the Father. He waited for Him to rescue his life from his enemies and found comfort with the harp meditating on the mercy, compassion, and love of God.
Often we find our enemies are our own thoughts, we are reminded of our limitations. “Will I ever get out of thinking this way about myself.” Wearied in this also, we too like David wait to be rescued.
We have the promise of the Father, He will send us a comforter! Through the years countless numbers have been rescued by the power of the Holy Spirit. This is the great testimony of our God- He will never leave us nor forsake us, Never!
MORETOWN BIBLE STUDY WITH THE CHURCH OF THE CRUCIFIED ONE
The Church of the Crucified One, is a Non-denominational, Faith Community, of born again, Spirit Filled Christians, located in beautiful Moretown, Vermont bringing the Gospel of Jesus Christ to Moretown, Waterbury, Waitsfield, Warren, Montpelier, Burlington & The Madriver Valley.